Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Humbled...

...let me tell you a little story about pride. I just sat down in the JSB reading room, feeling pretty comfortable and pleased with my time-management duties. I'd already had an hour-long scripture study in the Old Testament, exercised for another hour, made chicken pesto, watched devotional and taught econ that morning, and it was only 1:30! I had just enough time to finish reading that Isaiah assignment before my two o'clock class--but was suddenly jolted from my happy musings as I opened my laptop. See, I had forgotten that I had exercised to the melodies on my LAPTOP this morning--cranked as loud as the computer gets-- and "KEEEEEEP HOLDING OOOOOOOON" blared on for all the instantly-miffed studious students who HAD been enjoying the quiet. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to get it to turn off, either, as the "mute" button doesn't work until the computer boots up. Closing it was having NO EFFECT for some reason ("WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT THROUGH, MAKE IT THROUGH!!!!") and people were looking up, (of course, it was like a train full of Avril Lavigne fans had just driven through the wall), but all I could do was stare at my closed computer at a loss, with a bemused and slightly crazed smile itching up my face. (Should I sit on it?!!) What could I do but giggle as I grabbed the offending device (which was still singing: "JUUUUUUUST HOOOOLD OOOOOON") and sprinted outside?? I did tell the angry mob of students (who were now gathering their pencils while Avril blared, "THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN SAAAAAAAAY!") on my way out the door, "Hey! At least it's a good song!"

Nothing like feeling thankful every time you open your laptop and it doesn't sing to you. Woo-hoo!


.

No comments: